At A Glance | March 11

Utah Teen Who Brought Homemade Bomb to High School Pleads Guilty to Reduced Charge


A 17-year-old from Hurricane, Utah, who took an improvised explosive device to his high school pleaded guilty to first-degree attempting to commit a felony or injury with an incendiary device. Martin Farnsworth (pictured) reached a plea agreement to the reduced charge on March 6. Prosecutors dropped felony counts of attempted murder and possession of a weapon of mass destruction. Court documents said that on March 5, 2018, Farnsworth placed a backpack containing a homemade explosive near a vending machine in the cafeteria of Pine View High School, lit the fuse and walked away. Students noticed smoke and alerted faculty. A school resource officer removed the backpack, and the school was evacuated. The device did not detonate. Court documents said Farnsworth used a metal soup can filled with shotgun shells to construct the device. Farnsworth will be sentenced on April 17. Farnsworth also was ordered to pay restitution for spray-painting “ISIS is comi- [sic]” on a wall and replacing an American flag with an ISIS flag at a nearby high school in February 2018.

California Man Charged in Spa Bombing That Killed Ex-Girlfriend

A Southern California man was charged in connection with an explosion at a day spa that resulted in the death of his ex-girlfriend. Authorities arrested Stephen William Beal, 59, of Long Beach on March 3 on a single count of malicious destruction of a building resulting in death. According to a criminal complaint, two other individuals injured in the incident on May 15, 2018, told investigators that an explosion occurred when Magyar Kozmetica spa owner Ildiko Krajnyak, opened a cardboard box. Krajnyak, who was Beal’s former girlfriend, died instantly. An affidavit noted that first responders discovered human remains outside of the building, which suffered major damage. Authorities said Beal informed investigators later that day that he co-owned the spa in Aliso Viego, California. Federal and county authorities searched Beal’s residence, where they uncovered approximately 130 pounds of explosive precursors, electric matches, and wires. An FBI agent stated there were “no meaningful differences” between the wires found at Beal’s home and those recovered from the explosion. Investigators also determined Beal about a week earlier bought a battery and cardboard boxes similar to the one opened by Krajnyak. The affidavit said chemicals found at the explosion and in Beal’s car were also similar. Beal faces up to life in prison without parole if convicted.

Arizona Neo-Nazi Gets Life in Prison for Killing Woman After Seeing Interracial Couple

An Arizona neo-Nazi was sentenced to life in prison by a Phoenix jury on March 7 for the 2009 murder of Kelly Ann Jaeger sparked when he saw her with a black man in a park. Travis Ricci yelled racial slurs at her boyfriend for dating a white woman, authorities said. Ricci then left and returned with a shotgun in a vehicle driven by Aaron Schmidt and fired two blasts, intending to shoot the man, but killing Jaeger. Ricci was convicted January 9 of first-degree murder, aggravated assault, attempted first-degree murder and other charges. Schmidt was convicted and sentenced to nine years in prison for his role. Authorities had sought the death penalty, saying Jaeger’s killing was to further the interests of the Vinlanders Social Club. The Anti-Defamation League said the Vinlanders are a skinhead group known for violence.

For more information, please contact NJOHSP's Intelligence Management Bureau at or 609-584-4000.