Suspect Told Agents He Bombed New York City Subway for ISIS
The Brooklyn man accused of detonating a pipe bomb in the New York City subway during rush hour December 11 told interrogators he hoped “to terrorize as many people as possible,” according to federal charges. “I did it for the Islamic State,” Akayed Ullah said, according to the complaint, which said he began to be radicalized in 2014. Ullah, 27, said he viewed ISIS propaganda got instructions on building a pipe bomb from the Internet. The device he brought into the Times Square subway complex left him with burns (photo, right) and three others with minor injuries. “It didn’t function with the force and power that the recipe intended to,” said John J. Miller, NPYD commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism. A magistrate ordered Ullah held without bail. He faces five charges, including use of weapons of mass destruction and providing material support to ISIS. Ullah arrived from Bangladesh in 2011 on a family immigrant visa and was a legal permanent resident. Officials in Bangladesh, which Ullah visited periodically, said he was influenced by a radical preacher, Moulana Jasimuddin Rahmani, who is imprisoned there. Ullah said he built the bomb in his apartment and bought all the materials, except the pipe, which he found at work as an electrician, the complaint said
Prosecutors Say Bronx Man Acquired Terrorist Propaganda While Jailed with NJ-NY Bomber
A Bronx man accused of trying to join ISIS teamed with a now-convicted terror bomber from Elizabeth to “obtain a veritable cache of terrorist propaganda materials” while they were in the same federal lockup, prosecutors assert in court papers revealed December 12. They want a jury to know that the partnership demonstrated Sajmir Alimehmeti’s “continued support for terrorist ideology … in providing material support to a [foreign terrorist organization],” prosecutors said. Alimehmeti, 24, “collaborated” with Ahmad Rahimi to get a thumb drive of evidence from Rahimi’s case, according to the documents. Rahimi, 29, who had worked in his father’s chicken restaurant, was convicted in October on federal charges for placing a bomb in Manhattan on September 17, 2016, that injured 30. He still faces charges for a bomb that went off in that morning in Seaside Park, leaving a backpack with explosive devices by an Elizabeth rail station, and a shootout with Linden police.
Accused Driver in Deadly Charlottesville Ramming Faces Life Term with Upgraded Homicide Charge
The driver accused of killing a counter-protester during a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, now faces a first-degree murder charge, which carries up to life in prison. James Alex Fields Jr., 20, had been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Heather D. Heyer, which carries a 40-years maximum. Virginia prosecutors revealed the upgraded charge at a hearing December 14, after which a judge said the state has enough evidence to present the case to a grand jury. The new charge requires an element of premeditation. Prosecutors played video from a state police helicopter showing Fields’ Dodge Challenger backing up rapidly before it accelerated forward toward a crowd that included Heyer, 32, of Charlottesville. Dozens were hurt.