Jurors in Trial of NJ-NY Bombing Suspect See Video of Man Dragging Suitcases; Explosion Aftermath
Routine video from security cameras brought jurors to the scene of a bombing in New York City last September, and prosecutors asserted the footage also shows the New Jersey suspect deploying those explosives, which injured 30. One video showed a man with a backpack dragging two small suitcases down a street. Others showed people fleeing the blast in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood, which sent a 100-pound trash bin into the air and shattered windows. The footage was shown as the federal trial of Ahmad Khan Rahimi (right) got underway last week in Manhattan, where he is charged with bombing a public place, using a weapon of mass destruction and interstate transportation of explosives. Rahimi, 29, of Elizabeth, also faces charges in New Jersey. Those stem from an explosion along the route of a Marine Corps-related race in Seaside Park on September 17, 2016, just hours before the blast in New York City. No one was injured in Seaside Park; the bomb went off before runners started. Rahimi was captured two days later after a shootout with Linden police. Rahimi was not charged with terrorism, but federal prosecutors said his interest in jihad, terrorist attacks and terrorist organizations influenced his plans.
Prosecutors Reveal Arrests and Guilty Plea in 2016 NYC Terror Plot
Federal authorities on October 6 disclosed that the FBI and NYPD disrupted a plot last year by an ISIS-inspired trio who wanted to explode bombs in the New York City subway system and Times Square, and open fire at concert sites. Three suspects were arrested: Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy, a 19-year-old Canadian citizen; Talha Haroon, a 19-year-old US citizen living in Pakistan; and Russell Salic, a 37-year-old orthopedic surgeon in the Philippines. El Bahnasawy was detained on May 21, 2016, after he traveled to Cranford, New Jersey, to prepare for the attacks. He has pleaded guilty to multiple terrorism offenses and could face a life sentence when sentenced in December. Haroon was arrested in Pakistan; Salic, was arrested in his home country. All three were charged with seven terror-related counts, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction. Haroon and Salic await extradition to the United States.
Attacker Killed by French Soldiers After Fatally Stabbing 2 Women
French authorities detained four people October 3 in connection with stabbings at a Marseille train station that killed two women. The attacker reportedly shouted “Allahu Akbar” and was shot to death by French soldiers. The four suspects were held on suspicion of “criminal association in relation to a terrorist undertaking.” French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said the attacker was a resident of Italy who had a valid Tunisian passport. French officials referred to the attacker as “Ahmed H.” Collomb said he has ordered an investigation into why the attacker, who had seven previous encounters with French police and had no residency papers, was not expelled. The attacker was most recently detained just two days before the stabbing, when he was taken into custody for shoplifting and later released. Italian prosecutors are also beginning a terrorism investigation into the deceased attacker. ISIS claimed responsibility, but French officials said the motive remains unclear, and no links to ISIS have been confirmed.